Varmint Stalkers Brigade
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Varmint Stalkers Brigade

Adult Survivalist Community

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Les Stroud

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Trapper
Private
Private

Number of posts : 23
Most hated varmint : Rat
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitimeSun May 25, 2008 8:24 am

Anyone watch Survivorman? I think it is a pretty good show and I feel he is quite adept at his skills. And he's a Canuck!
Back to top Go down
http://www.wagandwash.ca/
VS Tyrant
Admin
VS Tyrant

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Latest Kills
Weapon: .17 HMR 20 gr FMJ
Disposal Method: Dinner

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Re: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitimeMon May 26, 2008 1:21 am

I actually think he is pretty horrible. He handles the emotional aspect of the survival situation well, but there is a big paycheck at the end and a group of people waiting to rescue him not too far away. Aside from that he rarely eats. In my opinion, to survive you have to trive, otherwise youre just waiting to see what happens first, you die or get rescued. Also, some of his methods just may get you killed. He studies as much as he can about a place before going to know what to do, so half the things he has shown you he has never done before.

Either way, I do appreciate the realism of his show. In reality, he does pretty good compared to how most people would perform out there these days.
Back to top Go down
https://varmintstalkers.forumotion.com
Cimmeron
Private
Private
Cimmeron

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Re: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 4:26 am

I love that show and I think he gives an accurate portrayal of what it would be like for a person to be stuck in a survival position. Survival is not the same as thriving in my mind; you can survive in a situation for a long time, even a day to day situation that sucks, and you're not thriving. Thriving means that you're doing well, moving forward, blah blah blah Smile Most people in LIFE aren't thriving, sad to say.

and yes, he does study ahead of time, which sorta of made me think twice but then again, if he had never been to a place before, and was going to travel there, wouldn't the smart person learn something about it first?

I think he rocks and he's a far cry better than that other doof, on man vs. wild - bear? I think?
Back to top Go down
VS Tyrant
Admin
VS Tyrant

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Latest Kills
Weapon: .17 HMR 20 gr FMJ
Disposal Method: Dinner

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Re: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 1:28 pm

The reason they say surviving is thriving is because if you're not thriving, you're just waiting to die. If you don't have things going for you, you aren't going to make it too long. If you notice, at the end of the show when they pick les up he isn't doing too good. In a few shows, he wouldn't have made it another week.
Back to top Go down
https://varmintstalkers.forumotion.com
Cimmeron
Private
Private
Cimmeron

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-05-16

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Re: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:45 pm

yea, I don't agree. a premature infant can survive or thrive, they are not the same thing. I think it applies anywhere, really. He survives and he does it well. Some situations he may not thrive in, but it is Thrivorman. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Les Stroud Empty
PostSubject: Re: Les Stroud   Les Stroud I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Les Stroud
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Varmint Stalkers Brigade :: Survival :: Everything else-
Jump to: